changing seats!

Monday, October 1, 2007

Thanks Chris for the great website!

I never like to stay in the same seat for long..I always like to move around...meet new people...socialize....getting to know people is fun & exciting & keeps me moving!

It would be such a bore to be in a place where you don't know anyone and no one knows you..and all you ever do is just to come and go...and than you complain that life is boring!! Of course it would be, you never bothered to make it interesting!

Below is a story I got from the North Star Writers Group :)

October 1, 2007

Change Your Seat, and Come to Life

Everyone in life should be known for at least one quote. I have one that I would like to share with you. But first let me tell you a story.

Seven years ago, I attended a three-day leadership conference in San Francisco. The first morning I arrived a few minutes early. There must have been a hundred people in the room. Many people were already sitting in their seats, and others were drinking coffee at the back of the room. But all had staked a claim on a seat for the day. There was just one chair left. I grabbed a cup of coffee and headed for it.

The first day of the conference was good, and it was interesting to talk with the people around my table.

The second day I left the house a little earlier so that I could sit in another part of the room and meet new people. The roads were pretty clear that morning. I arrived 30 minutes ahead of time. I put my bag down on a seat at a new table. Then I went to the back of the room to get a cup of coffee.

Watching people arrive, I noticed that they were returning to the same seats that they had been sitting in the day before. I thought it was a bit curious, but I kept to my coffee and conversation. When it was time to take our seats, I looked around as I walked to my chair. And guess what I saw? Everyone in the room was in the same seat as they had been on day one, that is, except two people – me, and a young man who was glaring at me for taking his seat. Out of 100 people, I was the only one who changed his seat on purpose!

As I had planned, I learned a lot from the people around my new table. I had another good day.

Day three came and my plan was the same. I left early from home so that I could arrive in time to choose a new seat in another part of the conference room. Unfortunately, traffic that morning was bumper to bumper – my buffer time was lost on the highway. I arrived with five minutes to spare before the session started.

I ran up the hotel stairs and opened the door to our meeting room. And what did I see? Everyone in the room was back in the seat they had chosen on day one, including the unhappy young man whose seat I had taken the day before. He was smiling at me as I settled into my original seat. He had the grin of victory all over his face. And the people I had met on day one – again sitting next to me – said, “Welcome home.” Everyone was so pleased that they had kept their original seat.

It was at that moment I was reminded that most people don’t like change. Most people prefer to stay in the same seat in life. They would rather be comfortable than extend themselves to meet new people and try new things.

So now it’s time for my quote. Here it is: “Most people sit in the same seat and expect life to come to them. Be different. Change your seat and you will come to life.”

Be willing to change your perspective. Be interested in other people. Be open to new ideas. The most successful people I know constantly challenge themselves. They talk to people with different ideas and they try new things.

So today my question to you is, “Where are you sitting?” Better than that, “Are you going to change your seat?”

David J. Pollay is a syndicated columnist, and an internationally sought-after speaker and teacher on how to build positive momentum in your business and life. Mr. Pollay is the founder and president of The Momentum Project, a strengths-based training and consulting organization with offices in Delray Beach, Florida and Washington, D.C. Prior to founding The Momentum Project, he held senior leadership positions at Yahoo!, MasterCard, Global Payments, and AIESEC. Mr. Pollay holds a Master’s Degree in Applied Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, and an Economics Degree from Yale University. Email him your stories at david@themomentumproject.com, or call 561.265.1165.

© 2007 David J. Pollay. Distributed by North Star Writers Group. May not be republished without permission.

0 comments: